In the spirit of transparency, I plan to post monthly updates from our committee as a whole and from our several ministry action teams.
Today, I am providing the annual summary I will be presenting to the Board on Thursday.
SEJC ANNUAL REPORT TO BUF BOARD - March 2017 - February 2018
General Updates, Finances and Policy Changes
- Since March 2017, we passed kiosk guidelines and welcomed new leadership: Shari Walton as Secretary, Beth Brownfield as Nominating Chair and Ann Stevenson as our new Interfaith Coalition rep.
- Presented the Black Lives Matter resolution to the congregation which passed resulting in the introduction of Eracism Minutes during Sunday service.
- Added a 4th meeting (in May) solely for voting on special collection recipients.
- At the beginning of the fiscal year, the balance of our funds for distribution were $10,800. Plus our endowment value as of Jan 2018 was $32,800. Our average annual income from Fair Trade coffee sales has been about $2000 but it has been going down. For first 6 months this year, it was only $413. In July 2017 we pulled 5% from our endowment fund for annual distribution which came to $1500.
- We are very proud of BUF for the new level of generosity for the Special Collections. For the first 6 months of this fiscal year, the total comes to $15,500.
- A new Ministry Action team is being formed to address homelessness. Their first project will be as the BUF team to support Interfaith Coalition’s Family Promises program.
Events held and co-sponsored during the past 12 months
- ACLU People Power Action Event Youth Climate Advocacy Panel
- Public forum on Transgender issues/ I-I1552
- Indigenous Colombian leader event
- Democracy School
- Interweave Thanksgiving Potluck
- Interweave New Year's Eve party
- Laura Love Concert
- YouthNet event
- Movie Presentation National Geographic "Gender revolution"
- Abundance Swap
- Bellingham Human Rights Film Festival showing of film at BUF
- Hildes-Weil Benefit Concert
Donations to outside organizations in the past 12 monthsIn the past 12 months we have donated $2000:
- SEJC donation to stone marker: $200
- Support H2A farm workers: $200
- Food Bank donation in Kay Witter’s name: $300
- NW UU Justice Summit & scholarships to summit: $200
- MLK Conference: $200
- Bham Human Rights Film Festival (in Jerry Brownfield’s name): $200
- Legal defense of immigrant activist Maru Mora-Villapondo: $500
- PFLAG dance: $200